Vigor Trigger: Click the pink for health benefits!
- 5-6 LARGE nectarines or peaches, 7-8 smaller ones (white or yellow or a combination of both)
- 1+5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil*
- a pinch of salt
- 1 generous tablespoon raw honey*
- 2 ½ cups almond meal*
- ¾ cup cornmeal
*shop for these items here
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place a pan over medium heat and let it get hot while you prepare fruit.
- Cut nectarines into ½ inch wedges. (Do this by cutting them down the center and around the pit. Twist to open, remove pit and cut each nectarine into about 5 wedges.)
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into the pan and follow with all the nectarines. Stir and let sauté for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add raw honey, stir and cook for one more minute.
- Make crust by adding the almond meal, corn meal, salt and remaining coconut oil into a bowl. Add a few tablespoons of the juice released from nectarines. Mix it all together with your hands until it can be held together in a ball. (You can add a touch of raw honey if you fancy it a bit sweeter._
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch springform pan or pie plate with coconut oil. Use your fingers to flatten the crust in there so that it comes up halfway on the sides (if using a springform.)
- Place nectarine slices on top of crust.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 325° and continue baking for another 20 minutes.
- Let cool. If using a springform, remove the sides of the pan. You will not be able to lift the tart off the bottom part of pan as our healthy crust is too delicate. Cut directly from there.
- Serve plain, with Mascarpone with Orange Zest, Coconut Milk Ice Cream or your favorite vanilla ice cream.
For Mascarpone with Orange Zest:
- 1 pound of Mascarpone
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- Zest orange with a microplane and add to mascarpone.
- Juice half the orange into the mascarpone and stir.
- If you like more of an orange flavor, you can add more juice.
- Serve on top of any of your favorite fruit desserts, pies, tarts, cobblers, etc.