Vigor Trigger: Click the pink for health benefits!
- a loaf of good, crusty whole grain bread (I use La Brea Bakery)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- a large bunch of fresh basil
- salt (a generous teaspoon)
- one clove peeled garlic
- good extra virgin olive oil
- Turn oven broiler on and place rack on second to top rung.
- Cut tomatoes in half and place in bowl. Add salt and generous olive oil. Stir gently.
- Rip basil into small-ish pieces and place aside.
- Cut bread into about ½ inch thick pieces.
- Place bread on a cookie sheet and place the cookie sheet under broiler. (Everybody’s oven is different. Get to know yours. You want each side to be golden brown.)
- Once tops are golden, carefully flip bread over and broil second side until golden.
- Use garlic clove to rub the top of the bread. WARNING: you will not see the garlic on the bread, but if you smell it will be there. Don’t overdo it. Just a few gentle “swipes.”
- Spoon tomatoes onto bread and drizzle with extra good extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle basil on top.