Vigor Trigger: Click the pink for health benefits!
For 6-8 servings
- Lemon juice or vinegar (to clean stand mixer)
- 6 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon rose water*
- 1 pomegranate - optional
*Rose water is available online in the Meal and a Spiel Amazon Shop or at Middle Eastern markets or gourmet shops. Note, the ones sold at gourmet shops are usually in smaller bottles and stronger, so anticipate cutting the amount by half, and then add to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Make sure the bowl and whisk of a stand mixer (or handheld electric mixer) are oil free by cleaning them with some lemon juice or vinegar on a paper towel.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl and, on medium speed, beat them until just thickened.
- Add one third of the sugar and beat on a higher speed.
- Add another one third of the sugar and beat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the remaining sugar and beat on the highest speed until the foam is shiny and forms stiff peaks. Take care not to overbeat or the meringue will collapse.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the cornstarch and between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of rose water, depending on your taste. The more rose water, the stronger the flavor, and you’ll risk seeing rose water leak from the meringues.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange dollops of meringue any way you wish. You can even form fanciful peaks of foam, but don’t make them too big. Bake the meringue for about 2 hours.
- Optional: Peel the pomegranate by cutting off the crown and break the pomegranate open with your thumbs. Remove the pomegranate seeds, making sure the white pith doesn’t come along. Let the meringues cool, then sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.