- 1 ¼ pounds organic chicken liver (rinsed)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 5-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Vin Santo
- 2 tablespoons salted capers*
- 4 anchovies*
- ⅓ stick of butter or 2 ½ tablespoons (kosher and/or organic) duck fat
- country loaf bread
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock (see recipe for Basic and Not So Basic Chicken Broth)
For the Chicken Liver:
- Remove the filaments or “stringy” parts of the chicken liver.
- Rinse the chicken liver and dry it.
- Cook onion on the stove over a medium flame with the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the chicken liver; stir it slowly to cook on the outside.
- Add the Vin Santo - cook for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse the salted capers.
- Cut the anchovies into small pieces.
- Pour the capers, anchovies, and contents of the pan in the food processor and pulse about 4 times until it is chunky and not full of liquid.
- Put back onto the stove over a medium/low flame. Add a cup of chicken broth and stir.
- Add salt and pepper and slowly stir. Taste for seasoning.
- Add ⅓ stick of butter and stir in until it becomes a nice paste.
For the Crostoni:
- Cut bread into ½ inch pieces.
- Toast in the broiler for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the broiler.
- Take each piece of bread and dip one side into the chicken broth.
- Add the chicken liver purée to the side of the bread that has been dipped in chicken broth.
- Plate and serve!