Vigor Trigger: Click the pink for health benefits!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (Video: Meal and a Spiel on Olive Oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leafed parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 ½ cups lentils (brown or green variety)
- ½ cup barley pearls
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock (See Basic and Not So Basic Chicken Broth) or Cheater’s Chicken Broth or high quality organic boxed chicken broth.
- Make Soffritto:
- Put heavy soup pan or dutch oven (buy here) over medium flame while you chop ingredients for soffritto.
- Add olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, and all the herbs (herbs de provence, fennel seeds, parsely and basil) and let saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils and barley and saute another minute or so, stirring to make sure they don’t burn or stick.
- Add stock and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to low flame and cover for a good hour.
- Let soup rest to cool as it will only make it more flavorful